Skip to main content
Hort Innovation Our work Trade and export Top 10 trade commodities Australia's top ten trade commodities - Table grape

Australia's top ten trade commodities – Table grapes

Australian table grape exports

Australia’s warm, dry summers and deep, rich soils provide an excellent environment for growers to produce world-class table grapes.

Valued at almost $1 Billion – the Australian table grape industry is one of the most valuable horticultural industries in the country. Our growers produced almost 220,000 tonnes of table grapes last year across 25,000 acres of grapes, with 70 per cent grown for export to an increasing number of countries and the remaining 30 per cent consumed domestically. Currently 96 per cent of exports are via ship and 4 per cent by air.

Over the last few years, the table grape industry has been through a period of expansion. Hectares of non-productive land, particularly in Sunraysia, are being redeveloped into table grape vineyards and packing shed facilities, and Australia-wide new landholders are investing in existing table grape properties.

Australian table grape exports to top 10 markets (by volume in tonnage, year ending March 2024)

  1. China – 52,306
  2. Indonesia – 27,212
  3. Vietnam – 12,980
  4. Philippines – 11,116
  5. South Korea – 9,181
  6. Thailand – 8,116
  7. Japan – 6,312
  8. New Zealand – 4,992
  9. Hong Kong – 4,795
  10. Malaysia – 3,697

Countries that Australia has market access for table grapes

Data from Micor

China

Indonesia

Vietnam

Philippines

South Korea

Thailand

Japan

New Zealand

Hong Kong

Malaysia

Singapore

United Arab Emirates

Taiwan

Bangladesh

Sri Lanka

Fiji

Qatar

Kuwait

Canada

New Caledonia

Cambodia

French Polynesia

India

Oman

Maldives

Tonga

Papua New Guinea

Mauritius

Saudi Arabia

Vanuatu

Lebanon

Bahrain

Brunei

East Timor

Solomon Islands

Nauru

Switzerland

United States of America

Myanmar

Tuvalu

Samoa

Belarus

Cook Islands

Mayotte

Seychelles

Pakistan

Reunion

 

Related R&D projects

More information
Dr Mila Bristow
General Manager of Trade & Biosecurity R&D
Contact details
0498 391 484 Send an email
More information
Dr Anthony Baker
Head of Market Access R&D
Contact details
0431 544 838 Send an email
More information
Mimi Doan
International Trade Manager
Contact details
0408 316 329 Send an email
More information
Jade Archibald
International Trade Manager
Contact details
0427 152 023 Send an email
More information
Dr Andrea Magiafoglou
R&D Manager Market Access
Contact details
0474 733 558 Send an email
Troy Agosti
International Marketing Manager
Contact details
0436 666 811 Send an email