Technology transfer for pistachio growers (PS17002)
What was it all about?
Running from 2018 to 2021, this three-year investment brought the latest in Australian and international research, best practice and technical information to the nation’s pistachio growers.
Project activities included…
- Maintaining and expanding the pistachio industry’s regional ‘Tech Groups’ (PIT)
- Facilitating field days and farm walks throughout each year in the country’s major pistachio growing regions, with involvement of Australian and international experts
- Compiling technical information from Australia and overseas into resources for growers, including presentations, ‘Seasonal Notes’ that are distributed quarterly, e-bulletins and more
- Updating of the industry website with new information
- Workshops for new entrants to the industry.
See below a range of resources produced from the project. Further information can also be found on the Pistachio Growers’ Association website.
Download Seasonal Notes from the project below (these are links to Pistachio Growers’ Association documents):
Download Technical Bulletins from the project below (also links to Pistachio Growers’ Association documents). These are technical editions of the pistachio industry’s regular newsletter.
Access Tech Group presentations. Event summaries and presentation materials from the industry Tech Groups (also known as the Pistachio Information and Technology or ‘PIT’ Groups) are available from the Pistachio Growers’ Association website here, with direct links to specific presentations also available below. Some videos are also available via the industry website at www.pgai.com.au/industry-videos.
November 2018 presentations:
- In-season pistachio nutrition management, presented by Dr Ben Thomas
- Pistachio pests and beneficials, presented by Stuart Pettigrew – this was an update of the Hort Innovation Pistachio Fund project PS16000
- Orchard sanitisation, presented by Brett Rosenzweig
- Research update – chill, blanks, fungicides and varieties, presented by Dr Subha Abeysinghe – this was an update on the Hort Innovation Pistachio Fund project PS17003
- What happens to pistachios after harvest, presented by Grant Bignell (presentation for new growers)
September 2018 presentations (including Tech Groups and industry symposium):
- Evaluating new training systems for pistachio, presented by Dr Bruce Lampinen
- 2017/18 season market update, presented by Chris Joyce
- Understanding and managing insects on pistachio orchards, presented by Stuart Pettigrew – this was an update of the Hort Innovation Pistachio Fund project PS16000
- Factors contributing to dark staining in pistachios, presented by Dr Belinda Rawnsley – this was an update on the Hort Innovation Pistachio Fund project PS16002
- Influencing chill accumulation in marginal districts, presented by Dr Shane Phillips
June 2018 presentations:
This project was funded through the Hort Innovation Pistachio Fund using the pistachio R&D levy and contributions from the Australian Government
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2021. The Final Research Report (in part or as a whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation, except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth).