Communications plan for the Australian onion industry extension (VN12003)
What was it all about?
This project, which ran from 2012 to 2015, provided resources and communication products to onion growers and other industry stakeholders to support the making of better informed business decisions.
The work included many streams of activity including…
- Improving content on the Onions Australia website, including best practice info for growers, a password secured area for levy payers, chemical updates and findings from research
- Production of Layers newsletters, sent quarterly
- Publication of the annual Onions Australia magazine
- Circulation of reports form the industry stock data collection system OnionSTAT
- Development of fact sheets for identifying and reporting pests and diseases quickly
- Regional and annual levy payer meetings
- Media talks and media releases
- Grower walks.
As a result of the coordinated activities over three years, communication within the Australian onion industry increased substantially, with a strong ongoing dialogue between levy payers and Onions Australia, Hort Innovation and government.
Evaluation of the Onions Australia magazine editions, Layers, the levy payer meetings and grower walks showed that the activities were rated very highly by levy payers.
- Visit the Onions Australia website
- Find past and current issues of onion industry publications including Layers and the Onions Australia magazine in the ‘News and Media’ menu on the Onions Australia website
- Access the fact sheets produced by the project below:
This project has been funded by Hort Innovation
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2016. The Final Research Report (in part or as whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation (except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)).