What’s it all about?
The second phase of the VegNET program commenced in early 2020 to keep Australian vegetable growers informed about current R&D activities, results and resources – supporting the adoption of industry best practice and bolstering vegetable productivity and profitability in key growing areas across the country.
The program funds the positions of regional development officers (RDOs) in key vegetable-growing regions who are responsible for developing and executing regional extension plans. This includes identifying each region’s key priority issues and key regional resources and links - a critical step in ensuring growers receive assistance and information that meets their needs and will help them grow better crops and operate more efficient and profitable businesses.
Depending on each regional plan, the VegNET RDOs will deliver specialised events and R&D materials that meet their growers’ needs. The events will include face-to-face opportunities, as well as remote ones during the current COVID-19 landscape.
The approach to extension for the vegetable industry used under this second iteration of VegNET has been informed by the levy-funded project Extension strategy for the Australian vegetable industry (VG18003), which was developed following grower consultation in late 2019.
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
- New South Wales: Local Land Services – Sylvia Jelinek, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Western Australia: Vegetables WA – Samantha Grubisa, email@example.com
- Northern Territory: NT Farmers – Simone Cameron, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queensland (Bowen Gumlu and Far North Queensland): DAFQ – Sarah Limpus, Sarah.Limpus@daf.qld.gov.au
- Queensland (Southern Queensland): Lockyer Valley Growers – Zara Hall, email@example.com
- Queensland (Wide Bay Burnett): Bundaberg – Bree Grima, firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Australia: AUSVEG SA – Yanyu Liang, email@example.com
- Tasmania: RM Consulting Group - Ossie Lang, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Victoria (Gippsland region): Food and Fibre Gippsland - Bonnie Dawson, email@example.com
- Victoria (South-East, West and Northern regions): RM Consulting Group - Carl Larsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
The regionally based programs are underpinned by the project Training in the development and delivery of innovative vegetable E&A regional plans (VG19018), which provides mentoring and support for each RDO in their work.
- Contact your local RDO (above) to access the latest information and resources from their specific extension program and activities, as well as details of the events they run
- Keep a look out: the levy-funded Vegetables Australia magazine carries special features on upcoming events related to the program, and events are also communicated in other relevant industry channels.
This program is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Vegetable Fund