Banana industry R&D coordination (BA17002)
What was it all about?
Following the completed investment Coordination of banana industry research and development (Panama TR4) (BA14012), this project continued to support the role and activities of the Australian Banana Growers’ Council R&D Manager, Dr Rosie Godwin.
Dr Godwin worked to coordinate the industry’s R&D efforts, including facilitating beneficial collaborations between research projects, providing technical input into the development and conduct of projects and acting as a key point of contact for industry R&D.
She also worked with industry communication and extension initiatives to help the transfer of project findings and information to growers, and represented the industry at relevant forums, meetings and events. There was a particular focus on coordinating research efforts around Panama TR4.
Dr Godwin played a significant role in major industry R&D investments such as the Banana bunchy top virus project, Phase 4 (BA18000), Improved plant protection for the banana industry (BA16001), the National banana development and extension program (BA19004), Management of banana pests and diseases in NQ (BA17005), as well as other smaller projects.
She was also instrumental in:
- Establishing QBAN (the banana industry’s clean planting material scheme) in partnership with Greenlife Industry Australia, with all suppliers of banana propagative material for commercial growers becoming accredited under the scheme
- Driving the banana industry’s participation in several plastic recycling initiatives
- The extension and communication of R&D projects as well as technical and biosecurity matters to growers and other industry stakeholders, including delivery of the R&D scientific program at the 2019 and 2021 Banana Industry Congresses
- Ensuring knowledge transfer via membership of project reference groups and the Banana R&D Strategic Investment Advisory Panel, and representation at a wide range of stakeholder meetings
- Developing the new Banana Industry Strategic Investment Plan 2021-2026.
Considerable technical advice was provided regarding important pest and disease issues, such as TR4, clean planting material, Banana Bunchy Top Virus, leaf spot, plus chemical usage, reviews and permits and the withholding period of horticultural oils. Substantial support was provided to Banana Queensland for delivery of the Panama TR4 Program in partnership with ABGC.
This role continues to be supported by the Hort Innovation Banana Fund through the investment Banana industry R&D coordination (BA20002).
This project was funded through the Hort Innovation Banana Fund using the banana R&D levy and contributions from the Australian Government
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2021. The Final Research Report (in part or as a whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation, except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth).