National banana development and extension program (BA19004)
What’s it all about?
This project has two components working closely together to form a national program: a tropical component specific to the Queensland banana industry, and a subtropical one for New South Wales and Western Australian production regions.
They follow the previous National banana development and extension project (BA16007) and are tasked with helping deliver the outcomes of levy-funded and other R&D back to the banana industry, to help growers access and implement new information, technologies and approaches, and make better decisions for their businesses.
The program’s activities involve industry development officers who deliver…
- The Better Bananas website, betterbananas.com.au
- National banana roadshow events, held biennially
- Field walks and industry workshops, with details circulated in industry channels as they become available
- Industry meetings and tours, including NextGen young banana grower group activities (contact your region’s officer if you’re interested in taking part in NextGen activities)
- Grower training activities
- Resources, including fact sheets, videos and articles for Australian Bananas magazine
- Direct engagement with growers and others in the banana supply chain
- Innovative field trials and other research activities, detailed on the Better Bananas website here.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Banana Fund