Strengthening the sustainability of melon production (VM23001)
What is it all about?
This project is developing melon growers' understanding of the potential environmental impacts of the industry on a total and per/tonne of melon basis.
With the benchmarks produced through this project, including carbon emissions and water usage, growers can compare their performance to the industry average and track improvements over time.
The data produced will also inform future strategic industry investments and support the long-term sustainability of Australian melon producers to key domestic and expanded export markets.
The project will deliver:
- Increased understanding by the melon industry of the potential environmental impacts, including carbon and water footprint, by region and production method.
- Improved understanding of resource use and impact of inputs.
- Identify environmental hotspots of production.
- Recommendations for industry to address gaps in knowledge and future R&D requirements (this could be actions, mitigations or future R&D investments) to reduce future risks and inform future strategies for sustainability.
- Evidence and high-quality communications materials of sustainability credentials/indicators for customers.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Melon Fund