Papaya industry extension and communications program (PP20000)
What’s it all about?
This investment is tasked with supporting Australian papaya growers in adopting improved practices on-farm and keeping up to date with the latest industry news, information, resources and technologies. The program will improve knowledge, awareness, skills and aspirations of papaya growers and other supply chain stakeholders in order to increase the profitability and sustainability of the Australian papaya industry.
The project team is working collaboratively with the papaya industry, relevant stakeholders and value chain members to co-design and implement a program that focuses on:
- Agronomic practices which improve input efficiencies
- Integrated pest and disease management (particularly Papaya meleria virus and Phytophthora)
- Improved post-harvest value chain management practices.
Key project activities include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing and updating a compendium of industry best practices
- Delivering a series of on-farm best practice development and demonstration trials
- Holding annual stakeholder meetings and/or events in two of the main papaya growing regions (with potential in other areas depending on industry needs)
- Delivering the triannual Papaya Press magazine for papaya growers
- Benchmarking changes in best practice adoption levels.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Papaya Fund.