This Hort Innovation Pineapple Fund marketing snapshot has been taken from Hort Innovation’s Hortlink 2017, edition 4.
Hort Innovation invests the pineapple marketing levy into a range of activities to drive awareness and consumption, under the Hort Innovation Pineapple Fund. With the wrap-up of the first successful year in a three-year campaign, this edition’s focus is on the beginning of the second-year activity, with social media channels giving plenty back to growers and consumers alike.
Year two kicks off
The second year of the three-year marketing campaign has just begun with the pineapple campaign ambassador, author of The Wholesome Cook and foodie blogger Martyna Angell, generating simple, snackable recipes to support healthy living and cooking with Australian pineapples. These recipes and accompanying beautiful imagery will be staggered throughout the year, primarily over social media channels. They focus on the ‘endless summer’ tropical, delicious vibes with food that is healthy and convenient, while demonstrating the versatility of pineapples.
Consumer research results
The marketing program has conducted consumer research that has provided insights that will feed into future campaign activities and be of interest to growers. The research has found…
- When it comes to pineapple purchases, there is a 50/50 split of shoppers being male and female
- The key demographic for pineapple consumption is 20- to 45-year-olds
- 43 per cent of pineapple purchases are planned, while the remaining 57 per cent are impulse buys
- 54 per cent of consumers eat pineapple primarily on its own or in a fruit salad (22 per cent).
Social media channels
There is a strong Australian Pineapples presence across Facebook and Instagram (@aussiepineapples), bringing to consumers beautiful images that hero pineapples and content centred around ‘fun, delicious and tropical’ themes.
The hashtag #EndlessAussieSummer continues to resonate, with the following content pillars finessed for year two of the campaign:
- ‘Pineapple love’ – fun, delicious and tropical content tapping into trends and delivering on food cues
- ‘Pineapple inspiration’ – lifestyle content with pineapple-centric recipes, drinks and fruit salads, including content sourced from and shared by influencers and consumers
- ‘Pineapple know how’ – educational content on pineapple nutrition benefits; tips including how to choose, cut and store pineapple; and messaging on the year-round availability.
So far, social media has been used to showcase pineapple recipes from Martyna, with inspirational and educational posts also reaching consumers.
Over summer, with pineapples racing off the shelves, the campaign goes on hold – with growers encouraged to continue to use the #EndlessAussieSummer hashtag and post pictures to their channels.
Over the summer period Hort Innovation is also working with industry to develop a plan of activities for next year, which is likely to involve a continuation of the industry’s consumer-focused social media, influencer engagement and consumer awareness events.
These marketing activities are strategic levy investments in the Hort Innovation Pineapple Fund