Educating the food industry about Australian Mushrooms (MU20003)
What’s it all about?
This investment is delivering evidence-based information about Australian mushrooms to health and food service professionals in Australia. By improving the awareness, knowledge and attitude of health professionals to the nutrition and health benefits of mushrooms, they will be encouraged to recommend mushroom to their clients, or include mushroom in their menus, and ultimately help to drive purchase and consumption.
The project team will undertake a range of activities, including:
- Engaging with key decision makers from top tier commercial and institutional catering organisations to discuss the inclusion of mushrooms in
- Providing educational material to culinary schools, mushroom growers, food service professionals and dietitians. These educational resources will improve understanding of mushrooms, as well encourage confidence and proficiency at using them.
- Developing case studies that showcase the health benefits of mushrooms
- Updating culinary school curriculums to include the nutrition, health and culinary uses of mushrooms
- Participating in food industry professional conferences to further promote mushrooms
- Conducting farm tours to connect health professionals to mushroom growers.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Mushroom Fund.