Capacity building, information, technology and extension for the Australian mango industry (MG13017)
What was it all about?
This project, which ran from 2014 to 2018, funded the position of a dedicated industry development manager to drive activities that would improve the profitability and long-term sustainability of the Australian mango industry.
The project’s key areas of activity were industry development, crop forecasting, extension and biosecurity, in accordance with the mango industry strategic plan.
Key activities included…
- Crop forecasts and flow tables throughout the season
- Providing information to growers and consultants on crop management options including responding to grower queries on chemical control products, developing applications for minor use permits, and running industry workshops and training programs.
- Supporting growers who wish to export mangoes to overseas markets by delivering training on market requirements and reviewing applications from growers and packhouses
- Collaborating with other related work included input into a mapping mango orchards component of a Rural R&D for Profit project and an across-industry tree crop productivity project.
- Keeping growers informed through the publication Mango Matters, the weekly in-season e-newsletter My Mango, and updated website content. Note that this component was removed from this project into MG15006 from January 2016.
- Holding grower meetings and workshops in key production regions.
- Meeting with wholesalers and major retailers at the beginning of each season to highlight R&D findings on supply chain handling practices and to maintain engagement.
- Holding grower field days to demonstrate and extend R&D findings.
This project has been funded by Hort Innovation
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2018. The Final Research Report (in part or as whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation (except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)).