Macadamia industry benchmarking and industry sustainability insights 2022-2027 (MC22000)
What's it all about?
This investment is responsible for delivering a range of metrics to support decision-making and improve farm productivity and profitability within the Australian macadamia industry.
By benchmarking farm performance, the opportunity exists to improve productivity, quality and sustainability through the identification and widespread adoption of best practice. As the macadamia industry expands, data must be collected to demonstrate that the industry is operating efficiently and sustainably.
More than 95 per cent of survey respondents from the previous project Benchmarking the macadamia industry 2019-2021 (MC18002), indicated that their business directly benefitted from their involvement.
Industry engagement will continue via a range of products and services, including confidential farm benchmark reports for participants, public industry reports, facilitated regional benchmark group meetings, case studies and ad-hoc reports as requested by specific stakeholders.
Data collection and validation for the 2022 season has been completed:
- Data from the 2022 season was collected from 307 farms between October 2022 and March 2023.
- Of the 307 farms, macadamia nut production and quality data were gathered from 274 farms, seasonal limitations from 157 farms and cost data from 90 farms.
- Yield and quality data represented 10,574 bearing hectares, which represents approximately 63 per cent of national production in the 2022 season.
- Cost data spanned 5386 hectares and covered approximately 28 per cent of national production.
Confidential farm benchmark reports have been produced for all participants:
- 266 confidential, customised farm business benchmark reports were produced and emailed to clients in March.
- Recipients received a personalised report tracking seasonal and long-term performance that was then compared to averages of other similar farms.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Macadamia Fund.