Primary Industries Education Foundation Australia (PIEFA) membership (HA21002)
What's it all about?
This project funds Hort Innovation's annual membership to the Primary Industries Education Foundation of Australia (PIEFA) for 2022, 2023 and 2024. Through this membership, engaging teaching material is produced for schools to increase knowledge about horticulture and promote careers in horticulture.
In the first half of 2022, the following activities have occurred:
- A survey of schools regarding the factors influencing students to enter horticulture careers has been conducted, and results will be collated for presentation in the next reporting period.
- The CEO of PIEFA gave a presentation at Hort Connections to highlight the work of PIEFA and the progress of work with Hort Innovation.
- A new year 7-8 Avocado teaching resource was developed and promoted in June 2022. The resource is available as a free download on the Primezone website here
- The CEO of PIEFA attended three teacher conferences where the teaching resources developed with Hort Innovation were promoted.
- A horticulture industry representative was a speaker at a PIEFA-facilitated national careers forum run by Education Services Australia, showcasing careers in horticulture.
- During National Careers Week, PIEFA promoted horticulture careers through targeted social media posts.
- PIEFA provided feedback and representation on behalf of horticulture industries with the Version 9 Australian Curriculum, which was released in April.
- PIEFA continues to promote the two teaching resources produced in 2020 – Green your Scene and Food Production through Protected Cropping.
- PIEFA is also working with AUSVEG to support the development of targeted careers content through a careers handbook.