This Hort Innovation Custard Apple Fund marketing snapshot has been taken from Hort Innovation’s Hortlink 2017, editon 3.
Hort Innovation invests the custard apple marketing levy into a range of activities to drive awareness and consumption, under the Hort Innovation Custard Apple Fund.
The latest marketing activity wrapped up in winter. Throughout the custard apple season, it worked hard and proved successful in communicating key messages including how to eat, store and make delicious dishes with Australian custard apples.
Despite its limited budget, the campaign performed strongly.
It reached more than 350,000 consumers with engaging content through the consumer-facing Custard Apples Australia Facebook page, and finished with over 7800 dedicated followers or ‘fans’ of the page (both figures exceeding targets set at the outset of the campaign).
It also reached more than 1.74 million people through the distribution of a seasonal media release, which highlighted the season and some of the uses and health benefits of custard apples.
Coverage appeared in print publications including:
- Super Food Ideas
- The Rural Weekly – The Northern Territory
- Balonne Beacon (St George)
- Chinchilla News and Murilla Advertiser
- The Whitsunday Guardian
- The Gold Coast Bulletin
- The Northern Star
- The Queensland Times
- The Daily Mercury
- The Daily News
- The Fraser Coast Chronicle
- The Gladestone Observer
- The Chronicle Toowoomba
- The Reporter
- The Dalby Herald
Coverage also appeared online, including but not limited to:
- Body + Soul at bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/healthy-recipes/caramelised-custard-apple-bruschetta/news-story/bf58e21beaeb662caaa13b97bd79ac41
- The Rural Weekly at ruralweekly.com.au/news/custard-apple-grower-gets-to-the-heart-of-the-matt/3178145/
- The Weekly Times at weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/rural-weekly/custard-apple-grower-paul-thorne-gets-to-the-heart-of-the-matter/news-story/ff7f95110cfa6f57d994f9c43bc4bf44
- The Sunshine Coast Daily at sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/custard-apple-grower-gets-to-the-heart-of-the-matt/3178145/
Australian custard apples were also talked about on radio, including on ABC Lismore radio.
These marketing activities are strategic levy investments in the Hort Innovation Custard Apple Fund