Banana strategic industry development manager (BA16008)
What was it all about?
Starting in 2018, this three-year investment supported the role and activities of Industry Strategy Manager (ISM) Michelle McKinlay within the Australian Banana Growers’ Council. The ISM worked with growers to develop, implement and respond to industry-related strategies and policies, and provided support for the adoption of new practices that align with these strategies.
With a focus on biosecurity and the environment, this project enabled the implementation of the Banana Industry Water Quality Strategy and the priorities from the Banana Industry Biosecurity Framework. As a result, growers and stakeholders are now more informed about key issues in the banana industry including biosecurity and environmental developments impacting them and the industry.
During the three years of this project, there were several major issues that demanded a response from the banana industry. These included the spread of Panama tropical race 4 (TR4) within the Tully Valley and the introduction of environmental regulations for north Queensland growers. The ISM successfully worked with growers and non-grower stakeholders to provide options and solutions to the many questions these issues raised.
The activities of the ISM were shared regularly with growers, including through levy-funded channels such as the Australian Bananas magazine.
Read about various activities and industry issues shared by the Industry Strategy Manager, as part of this investment, published in Australia Bananas from 2018-2020.
- Under the microscope: Fall armyworm (p.23, Issue 58, April 2020)
- Is record keeping adding to your bottom line? (p.26, Issue 58, April 2020)
- Independent report forecasts bright outlook for Australian banana industry (p.32, Issue 58, April 2020)
- Under the microscope: Banana bunchy top virus (pp.36-37, Issue 58, April 2020)
- Spotted anything unusual lately? (p.6, Issue 57, December 2019)
- Reef protection regulations in the Great Barrier Reef regions (p.14, Issue 57, December 2019)
- Water quality regulations reman in spotlight (p.11, Issue 56, August 2019)
- Water quality regulations – staying afloat (p.30, Issue 55, April 2019)
- Get reg ready (p.31, Issue 55, April 2019)
- Score funding for sediment run off (p.33, Issue 55, April 2019)
- BMP back for round two (p.8, Issue 54, December 2018)
- Sediment management workshop (p.31, Issue 52, April 2018).
9780 7341 4655 7
This project was funded through the Hort Innovation Banana Fund using the banana R&D levy and contributions from the Australian Government.
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2021. The Final Research Report (in part or as a whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation, except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth).