Banana enterprise performance comparison - phase 2 (BA10026)
This is a final research report from Hort Innovation’s historical archives. Please note that as these reports may date back as far as the 1990s, the content and recommendations within them may be superseded by more recent research.
What was it all about?
BA10026 was a follow-on project from BA09307, which provided business and economic performance data, in addition to key production, packing and marketing system information for 46 banana growers across three states of Australia. BA10026 involved the collection of the same data sets, in addition to new data sets pertaining to Human Resource Management and Marketing Skills. Further, some of the original data sets were expanded in terms of the level of detail sourced from growers. A total of 59 growers were participants in the project. 40 of those growers also participated in the first year.
The principle goal of the project was to provide growers with a tool that that will enable them to identify and implement superior production, packaging, marketing and human resource management systems in use by other growers. By implementing superior practices, growers were better positioned to improve their long term productive and financial viability. Further, by comparing data across multiple years growers were able to identify the consequences of any changed activities.
For those growers who contributed 2 years of data, they were also provided with analyses of how their own individual business performance change over 2 financial years (2008/09 and 2009/10). Growers were then able to identify how changes in business management practices impacted a broad range of business performance indicators.
The purpose of this report was to:
- Document the approach / methodology undertaken by the consultants in conducting this project
- Provide by way of example the quantitative and qualitative benchmarking reports that were provided to each of the grower participants
- Provide ‘industry’ average data and observations on their importance on a broad range of key performance indicators (KPI’s) relating to the average economic and productive performance of all of the growers in the study
- Provide comparative year data analysis for multi-year participants to identify trends in financial and productive performance (for in this case two years)
- Provide observations supported by data analysis of factors that contribute to particular growers having superior business performance (based on two years of data)
- Provide recommendations to the Australian banana industry on future R&D needs aimed at enhancing the future viability of growers.
0 7341 3641 2
This project was funded by Hort Innovation (then Horticulture Australia Limited).
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2015. The Final Research Report (in part or as whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation (except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)).