Banana industry communications program (BA09066)
This is a final research report from Hort Innovation’s historical archives. Please note that as these reports may date back as far as the 1990s, the content and recommendations within them may be superseded by more recent research.
What was it all about?
The Banana Industry Communications Program BA09066 delivered an extensive and integrated program of communications materials and activities for the banana industry.
The Program was conducted by the Australian Banana Growers’ Council (ABGC). The start date was October1, 2010 and the Program concluded on December 31, 2013.
Key achievements of the Program were the establishment of the systems, materials and activities required for an effective communications strategy. Importantly, this strategy had the potential to be utilised on an ongoing basis in future communications activities to assist the industry achieve its future strategic objectives.
At the time of the program’s commencement, the banana industry had a number of communications tools and tactics. However, these were insufficient to ensure effective and timely communications to all stakeholders in a way best supporting the industry’s objectives as set out in the Strategic Investment Plan. The existing outputs also needed to be integrated into an overarching communications strategy to maximise outcomes.
Additional communications tools were required for the primary audience of banana growers, including both tropical and subtropical growers, and for industry stakeholders who work with growers in areas such as research, extension and supply chain. These communications needed to span a range of pathways, including both electronic communications, traditional printed publications, media and industry events.
It was also important to represent the industry’s activities to selected external audiences.
The development of a communications strategy, including annual operating plans, was also essential to to ensure an integrated approach that would deliver communications in a timely and effective fashion.
- Created a communications resource and integrated communications strategy that could continue to be utilized by the industry
- Developed systems for managing communications channels
- Created a suite of industry publications and communications materials and activities and a resource of industry spokespeople
- Established connections among banana industry stakeholders and a common understanding of banana industry issues
- Enhanced the banana industry’s reputation as an industry that is capable of assessing and managing important issues and communicating on these issues to its audiences.
Importantly, the program’s communications strategy had longevity and had the potential to continue to be used for future industry communications. It continued to assist the industry’s efforts to achieve the objectives of the industry’s new Strategic Investment Plan which was being developed at the time this program concluded and was due to commence at the start of the 2014-15 financial year.
- The Communications Program has greatly assisted the banana industry to pursue the objectives set out in the Strategic Investment Plan.
- It is recommended that the existing communications systems, materials and activities continue to be utilised for industry communications.
- Also, as the industry prepares its new Strategic Investment Plan, it is recommended that future communications strategies and annual operating plans be considered to ensure activities continue to best facilitate the achievement of industry objectives.
0 7341 3285 9
This project was funded by Hort Innovation (then Horticulture Australia Limited) with the voluntary financial support of the banana industry.
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2014. The Final Research Report (in part or as whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation (except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)).