Educating health professionals on the nutrition and health benefits of avocados (AV20003)
What’s it all about?
This investment is delivering evidence-based information about Australian avocados to health and food service professionals in Australia. By improving the awareness, knowledge and attitude of health professionals to the nutrition and health benefits of avocado, they will be encouraged to recommend avocado to their clients, or include avocado in their menus, and ultimately help to drive Australian avocado purchase and consumption.
The project team will undertake a range of activities, including:
- Establishing a digital hub that houses nutritional resources on avocados, including recipes, meal plans and local and international research on health benefits.
- Conducting a systematic literature review on avocados and health outcomes. This research will underpin all other project activities.
- Communicating with health professionals via a range of channels such as roundtable discussions, media releases, social media toolkits, a quarterly e-newsletter and participating in conferences. The project team will also work collaboratively with relevant professional associations and health influencers.
- Holding farm tours to connect health professionals to the source and to showcase growing regions, varieties and the breadth of the avocado industry.
Over the past six months, the Project Team have begun working on a combination of approaches to inform health professionals on the nutrition and health benefits of avocado, encouraging and enabling them to recommend avocado for inclusion in their clients’ diets, and ultimately help drive Australian avocado purchase and consumption.
Evidence suggests that the most effective way to influence the behaviour of health professionals is to provide activities that combine multiple interventions.
The program will combine a range of resources, tools, information materials and research to achieve its goal, including:
- Audience research to identify the most useful information content and format for the target audience(s)
- A healthcare professional digital hub for information materials, research updates, patient guides and other resources
- A systematic literature review summarising the global body of evidence for the nutrition and health benefits of avocado
- An expert roundtable to determine the ideal serving size of avocado, with a view to increasing to 75g/day
- The development of resources including fact sheets, research updates, dietary and recipe information
- Creation of a targeted customer database of motivated healthcare professionals for regular communication via electronic distributed mail
- Collaboration with existing research organisations to capitalise on existing available materials and resources.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Avocado Fund.