Avocado industry development and extension (AV17005)
What’s it all about?
This extension project is responsible for delivering a range of events and resources to help the avocado industry access, understand and implement best practice information. This includes information from current and previous Hort Innovation Avocado Fund R&D investments. The ultimate goal is to help improve orchard productivity, fruit quality and overall profitability.
Project activities include…
- Delivery of face-to-face events spanning regional forums, workshops for new growers and resellers, advanced management workshops and study tours
- Engagement with wholesalers to extend information on fruit handling best practice and other industry information
- The supply of information to industry consultants, for further distribution to industry
- Reviewing of key industry practices and scientific literature
The project is also responsible for delivering hard copy and online resources for growers, including…
- Avo Alert emails – monthly reminders sent to all growers, specific to each major production region, providing prompts about the orchard activities that should be considered in that particular month and the month ahead
- An updated Avocado Problem Solver Field Guide
- New and updated content for the industry’s Best Practice Resource (BPR), as well as new online forum for Q&As within the BPR
- Instructional posters and videos
- Information on phenological cycles for new varieties and production regions.
- Find details of all of the project’s events in the levy-funded Guacamole e-newsletter or visit the Avocados Australia events calendar
- Sign up for the project’s free Avo Alert emails by contacting Avocados Australia at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Login or request access to the Best Practice Resource and all its resources here
For more information, contact Avocados Australia Industry Development Manager Liz Singh at email@example.com or on 0499 854 111 (Mon-Thurs), or Simon Newett at the Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07 5381 1326
Since the last project update, the following activities have been undertaken:
- Three Regional Forums were held, two as online webinars (due to COVID restrictions) and one face-to-face event
- Planning is underway to hold the first Advanced Management Workshop on the topic of avocado irrigation on 17-18 May 2021 at the Brisbane Airport Conference Centre
- The Central Queensland Foundation Workshop (AvoSkills) is scheduled for 3-4 August 2021 at the Bundaberg Multiplex Sport and Convention Centre
- Monthly Avo Alerts were produced and distributed to growers and industry, plus a quarterly summary of research abstracts was reported in Talking Avocados
- Planning is under way for meetings with wholesalers, scheduled to take place later this year.
All invitations, events and outputs were promoted and published by Avocados Australia through mailing lists, the Guacamole newsletter, website calendar, Talking Avocados magazine and Best Practice Resource.
The project timeframe was extended by six months, allowing time to conduct events that were postponed due to COVID restrictions.
Register or log in to view the Best Practice Resource (BPR) section of the Avocados Australia website, which contains all resources for the project.
Regional Forums were held as online webinars instead of face-to-face events due to COVID-19 restrictions. All recordings of the online forums are available for viewing via the BPR library.
The AvoSkills Foundation workshop which was to be held in Central Queensland in October 2020 has been postponed due to COVID-19 restrictions and will commence on a later date via normal face-to-face format. Two previous Foundation Workshops have been held to date (North Queensland and Western Australia).
The Advanced Management Workshop (irrigation) has also been postponed until COVID-19 restrictions ease. In the meantime, work has commenced on the next Advanced Management Workshop which is on canopy management.
Eight sets of monthly ‘Avo Alerts’ since April 2020 have been produced and distributed to keep growers informed on industry news and to reinforce key management practices from a grower perspective.
Three grower webinars and three sets of comprehensive minutes and video recordings have been produced and are available on the BPR on the Australia Avocados website.
A poster has been produced, Managing Spotting Bugs in Avocado which provides growers some practical insights into the management of this pest.
Register or log in to view the Best Practice Resource (BPR) which hosts all resources for the project.
View the poster Managing Spotting Bugs in Avocado via the BPR on the Australia Avocados website.
The project is progressing well including the following activities…
- Forums were held from late-2019 to early-2020 across five regions to provide industry insights to growers. Topics such as root rot, nutrition, irrigation, flowering, pollination, heat, drought management and fruit retention.
- One AvoSkills Foundation Workshop was held in early 2020 in Western Australia. The two-day workshop was attended by 60 avocado industry participants and covered the basics of avocado agronomy and an introduction to best management practices.
- Five capital city market meetings were held to keep wholesalers, ripeners and market-based personnel aware of industry trends and the latest findings to improve fruit quality through avocado supply chains.
- Since September 2019, seven sets of monthly Avo Alerts have been produced and distributed to keep growers informed on industry news and to reinforce key management practices from a grower perspective.
- The next two Regional Forums will be conducted as virtual events due to current COVID-1 related restrictions.
- The World Avocado Congress in Colombia and the Californian Avocado Study Tours were held in September 2019 which involved a range of industry presentations, networking events and the opportunity to expand industry knowledge through study tours and visits.
Due to the impact of Covid-19, the Advanced Management Workshop on irrigation has been postponed to August-2020 and is still under discussion whether it will be presented as a virtual event.
A large amount of material including regional forum minutes and presentations, Avo Alerts, course material from the AvoSkills events, reports from the recent attendance at the World Avocado Congress, and reports on field tours in Colombia and California can be accessed through the Best Practice Resource (BPR). Log in or create an account to access resources.
See a video on the effective application of phosphorous acid in protecting your avocado trees from Phytophthora root rot.
Access international avocado research articles in two Talking Avocados editions, which provide a snapshot on pest, nutrition and postharvest topics. See Spring 2019 edition on p54-56 and the Summer 2020 edition p63-66.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Avocado Fund