Avocado best management practices and internet-based information delivery (AV10002)
What was it all about?
Australian avocado producers need to improve their yields and fruit quality and lower their costs of production in order to expand the market in Australia and compete with expected avocado imports from countries such as Chile, Mexico and Peru.
The information and technology required to achieve higher yields and better fruit quality is available in Australia and has been successfully adopted by the most progressive growers. The objective of this project, which ran between 2010 and 201, was to update and package the information so that it was easily accessed and understood by the majority of Australian avocado growers.
The resources developed during this project are outlined below.
- The Avocado Problem Solver Field Guide was published, illustrating nearly 100 pests, diseases and other disorders of avocado in Australia, together with advice on their prevention and treatment. It also includes illustrations and information on beneficial insects and high risk exotic pests and diseases. One or more copies were distributed to all known commercial avocado growers in Australia. It can still be ordered from Avocados Australia.
- The online Best Practice Resource framework was enhanced with a ‘growing’ section to include more information on production.
- A total of 124 articles covering almost all aspects of avocado production were written and uploaded to the Avocados Australia website.
- Twelve crop management calendars were developed to cater for each major production region.
- Three instruction videos were made on:
o Tree injection for Phytophthora root rot
o Installing tensiometers to measure water availability for trees
o Checking the uniformity of irrigation systems.
- The practices and philosophy of five of the best avocado irrigators were studied and key irrigation information was written up in two reports for industry.
- A self-assessment questionnaire was produced for growers to be able to compare their orchard management against agreed best practice.
- Users of the AVOMAN orchard management software were provided with support when needed.
- A poster was produced on the key elements of Phytophthora root rot management and distributed to all growers.
This comprehensive suite of information products is all available through Avocados Australia and the industry’s Best Practice Resource.
Register for or sign in to the Best Practice Resource to access the project’s resources.
This project has been funded by Hort Innovation
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2015. The Final Research Report (in part or as whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation (except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)).