Apple and Pear Nuffield Scholarship 2014/2015 (AP13034)
What was it all about?
This project supported a Nuffield Scholarship awarded to apple (and cherry) grower Fiona Hall from Orange, NSW. Fiona’s scholarship involved developing an international understanding of apple growing, to learn how Australian growers could improve their profit margins.
Fiona completed three overseas study tours across 2015 and 2016 as part of her scholarship, including visits to Singapore, India, Qatar, Turkey, France and the US, as well as a stay in New Zealand.
This meant that Fiona was exposed to an extensive array of professionals and agricultural businesses around the world, allowing her to examine different business models. It allowed her to research innovation in the apple industry to identify ways to close the gap between producer and retailer profits.
- Watch a video of Fiona presenting her project report on investment in the apple industry at the Nuffield conference in 2016
- Read Nuffield Australia’s profile on Fiona and her research
- Download Fiona’s full scholarship report from Nuffield Australia
- Read Fiona’s account of learning about leadership and communication during her trip to France on the APAL website
- Read an article on Fiona’s learnings and experience from her group tour, the Global Focus Program, on the APAL website
This project has been funded by Hort Innovation
Copyright © Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited 2018. The Final Research Report (in part or as whole) cannot be reproduced, published, communicated or adapted without the prior written consent of Hort Innovation (except as may be permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)).