Australian almond industry statistics and data collection 2020-2022 (AL19005)
What’s it all about?
This project collects industry statistics and makes them readily available to almond growers and other industry stakeholders. This information is intended to allow almond businesses and the broader industry to make timely and effective decisions in planning and resource prioritisation.
Specific activities include…
- Production of the annual statistics report, Almond Insights, incorporating the project’s annual planting surveys
- Annual crop forecasts, available through the Almonds Australia website
- Monthly export position reports, with the latest export reports available on the industry website here
- The ongoing collection of domestic and international almond statistics, disseminated through the In A Nutshell industry newsletter.
This iteration of the project follows on from the previously funded Almond industry statistics and data collection 2017-2019 (AL16003).
- The 2019 Australian Almond Planting Survey has been distributed to registered Australian almond growers and results from the survey have been entered into the Almond Industry Database to compile the 2019/20 edition of the Australian almond statistics publication, Almond Insights.
- The survey question surrounding current orchard acreages and tree ages allowed a projection of future annual crops to be developed. This projection was based on current average yields for tree ages 1-6 years and indicates the current productive capacity once trees are mature will be 175,000 tonnes by 2025, an increase of 64,000 tonnes or 58% on the 2020 crop.
- Further crop projections to 2030 have been produced based on estimated future plantings and indicate production will reach a minimum of 190,000 tonnes by the end of the decade or if current improvements in yields per hectare continue then a 2030 crop of 230,000 tonnes may be grown. These forecasts have highlighted the urgent need to increase processing capacity and continue to invest in market development.
- Five monthly export position reports were produced from December 2019 to April 2020 which detail almond market export rates and analysis. These reports can be found via the Australian Almond website.
See the 2019/20 Almond Insights report to give a statistical insight into industry activities.
View the monthly export position reports, available
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Almond Fund