Educating health professionals (AL16007)
What’s it all about?
Contracted by Hort Innovation in May 2018, this collaborative investment for the Almond Fund is collating and communicating the scientific evidence surrounding almonds and the role they play in health to a key audience of Australian health professionals, and to industry as well.
New and emerging research is being used to create a range of educational resources and opportunities for the health audience, who can in turn communicate almonds as an important ‘nutritional solution’ to their patients, clients and the wider public. This work follows from similar levy-funded initiatives.
The education program has three key sub-programs, including…
- The Australian Almonds Lifestyle Nutrition Program, focusing on issues including heart health, diabetes and weight
- The Australian Almonds Fitness and Sports Nutrition Program, focusing on sports nutritionists and fitness trainers
- The Australian Almonds Industry Nutrition Program, focusing on general health claims available for industry stakeholders to use.
After an initial research phase, the project has been churning out evidence-backed nutrition resources for health professionals, which are all being added to the Health Professional Centre, which is available through the industry website at health.australianalmonds.com.au.
Recently produced resources include…
- This ‘Almonds for heart health’ video, plus this fact sheet for health professionals and a fact sheet for their clients/patients
- This ‘Almonds for good health’ video, plus a related fact sheet for health professionals and one for their clients/patients
- This ‘Almonds and diabetes’ fact sheet for health professionals, and this version of the fact sheet for their clients/patients.
The project team is also undertaking face-to-face engagement with health professionals at relevant industry conferences. In late 2018, for example, they attended the General Practice Conference Exhibition, held in Melbourne for general practitioners and health practice nurses, to raise awareness of the health benefits of almonds and to distribute fact sheets.
The project also circulates information and resources via e-newsletters sent to the members of various nutrition and health organisations, including the Dietitians Association of Australia.
Still in its initial stages, the first step for the project components is to develop a plan for communicating to and engaging with the target audiences. It is anticipated that resources produced for health professionals will include fact sheets, digital clips, webinars, website content and more, while face-to-face engagement will occur through relevant health industry conferences and other opportunities. Look for updates as the work progresses.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Almond Fund