About this year's AGM
The Hort Innovation Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held on Friday, 25 November 2022. Further details on the format and location of the event will be made available as soon as possible, and shared with members in the official 2022 Notice of Meeting, to be distributed in October.
At this year’s AGM, Hort Innovation members will use their voting entitlements to elect one or more Directors to the Board, and vote on other matters affecting the company.
Recruitment of new Directors
The Constitution of Hort Innovation requires that in 2022, three (3) of its nine (9) Directors retire from the Board. Three (3) Director candidates are then to be elected to the Board at the 2022 Annual General Meeting, in November.
Applications are now being sought for the three (3) Director vacancies. Skills required by the Hort Innovation Board as a whole are set out in the Board Skills Matrix 2022 (available below).
In 2022, all Director applicants must have experience in the following three (3) essential areas:
- Experience in the application of corporate governance principles in the context of a commercial enterprise, not-for-profit enterprise or other regulated entity
- Experience in, or the ability to:
- Read and understand fundamental financial statements and essential quantitative information, including balance sheet, income & expenditure statements and cash flow statements
- Critically analyse the performance of investments, and
- Assess and balance risk and return
- Experience in an Executive role or senior management role (or equivalent) for a minimum of five (5) years including in setting and reviewing, or materially participating in setting and reviewing, the strategic direction of an entity or a large department.
In addition, all director applicants must possess skills in at least five (5) of the following specific areas of focus for 2022:
- Australian agricultural industry experience
- Research and development
- Commercialisation/applied innovation
- Investment evaluation
- Public policy
- Market Access and Asian/international markets
- Leadership and culture
- Stakeholder management and communications
- Horticultural production/supply chain.
Information pack, Board Skills Matrix, and Self-assessment guide and template
The information pack, including more information on the skills sought, the Board Skills Matrix that needs to be completed, and the Self-assessment guide and template are available below.
Submission of applications
Applicants must submit applications to Rimfire Resources at www.rimfireresources.com.au by close of business AEST on Monday 4 July 2022.
Act now to secure your voting entitlements
Each year, Hort Innovation invests more than $120 million into R&D, extension, marketing and trade initiatives on behalf of Aussie growers and others involved in horticulture. And each year, levy-paying members have the opportunity to secure voting rights to have a say on the leadership of the company, and the rules that govern it.
All Hort Innovation members that pay a statutory or voluntary horticulture levy have the right to apply for voting entitlements for this year’s AGM, and for any other general meeting of members held between 1 October 2022 and 30 September 2023. This is done by submitting an Annual Levy Return form.
If your business is a current member of Hort Innovation
In early August, all members will receive a letter and email regarding the Annual Levy Return process from Link Market Services, the independent provider managing the process on behalf of Hort Innovation.
This information directs members to either complete the Annual Levy Return form online (which will become available) OR complete a hard copy Annual Levy Return form, which will be included along with a reply paid envelope with the letter your company receives.
All completed Annual Levy Return forms must be received by Friday 9 September 2022.
If your business is a current member and has not received correspondence regarding the Annual Levy Returns process by mid-August, or if you have misplaced the information provided to you, please contact Link Market Services on 1800 660 083 (free call within Australia).
If your business is NOT a current member of Hort Innovation
Paying a levy doesn’t automatically make your business a member of Hort Innovation.
If you would like to apply for membership in time to lodge an Annual Levy Return and secure any voting entitlements for the AGM and year ahead, don’t delay. You must lodge your membership application as soon as possible, and no later than Wednesday 31 August 2022.
You can apply for Hort Innovation membership at www.horticulture.com.au/sign-up.
If your membership application is approved, you will then be sent Annual Levy Return information from Link Market Services. Your completed Annual Levy Return form must be received by Friday 9 September 2022.
Before submitting a membership application for the purposes of applying for voting entitlements, check that:
- You pay one or more of horticulture’s statutory levies listed on the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment’s website at agriculture.gov.au/ag-farm-food/levies/rates#horticulture
- And/or you pay a voluntary levy (‘producer contribution’) to a Collective Industry Fund for the almond, blueberry, pistachio, pyrethrum or processing tomato industries.
Questions about the levy return process?
If you have further questions, you can contact Link Market Services on 1800 660 083 (free call within Australia).
All members who submit an Annual Levy Return form will be advised of their voting entitlements in October.