Nursery industry statistics 2017/18 to 2019/20 (NY17008)
What’s it all about?
This investment follows the completed project Nursery industry statistics and research (NY16004), which produced an initial range of data related to the volume and value of nursery production. These key statistics were brought together in an Excel-based tool to allow nursery growers and the broader industry to benchmark the core aspects of their businesses and make timely and effective decisions in planning and resource prioritisation, as well as track market trends and industry performance over time.
Current investment NY17008 continues to support the collection and dissemination of data and will be building upon and producing updated versions of the nursery data tool, providing an ongoing resource for industry and allowing validation of the information over multiple years.
- The updated nursery data tool is now available. If you pay the nursery levy, email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy.
- Share your feedback! Hort Innovation invites all feedback on current and future versions of the data tool, for the purposes of future improvements in nursery industry data resources.
- Have a read of the 'Facts at a glance' fact sheet produced by the industry's communications project. It uses data from NY17008 to give growers a snapshot of the nursery industry in 2017-18.
Off the back of industry surveys, the project team has finished gathering and analysing insights from 2017/18. The full suite of information is currently being used for the release of this year’s new industry data tool, but at a glance, some of the key stats include...
- Some 1.9 billion plants are sold by greenlife production businesses each year, valued at approximately $2.4 billion in sales to the following market channels: retail, landscape, local government, revegetation and forestry, consumers and primary industry (an increase of approximately five per cent in value since 2015/16)
- There are around 1650 nursery businesses currently operating in Australia, employing up to 25,000 people
- 68 per cent of nursery businesses are investing in infrastructure, new technology and/or education and training
- 81 per cent of those surveyed said they were fairly to very positive about the industry's future, with ongoing market demand and growth expected to continue.
The revised version of the industry data tool is expected to be released in May 2019. Everyone who took part in the 2017/18 survey will automatically receive a copy, while all other nursery industry levy payers can register to be emailed the tool upon its release by emailing email@example.com with the subject line ‘Registering for nursery data tool’.
This project is a strategic levy investment in the Hort Innovation Nursery Fund