Skip to main content
Growers Information for those affected by flooding

Information for those affected by flooding

The below alerts and resources are intended to help growers, and others affected by the recent flooding, access key information and assistance during this difficult time. We’ll be updating this page with further advice and links as they become available.

Page last updated 12.00pm 1 April 2021

Scroll down to find the information you need, or skip straight to what you want:

Flood updates and alerts


Practical information about flood assistance for primary producers

  • The NSW Department of Primary Industries website has a page dedicated to natural disaster recovery assistance. It includes a list of emergency assistance services and their contact details, primary producer support organisations, and avenues for financial assistance.

  • NSW Local Land Services have developed a Farm Flood guide to help primary producers prepare for floods, and can also be contacted on 1300 795 299.

  • NSW DPI and LLS free hotline (1800 814 647) is available as a first point of contact for any agricultural related inquiries by primary producers affected by the floods. They are providing assistance to landholders and communities with animal welfare-related issues resulting from the floods, including:

    • Animal assessment and veterinary assistance
    • Stock euthanasia and burial
    • Emergency fodder and stock water (where there is an immediate animal welfare concern)
    • Livestock feeding and management advice
    • Care of animals in evacuation centres.

  • The NSW State Emergency Services website has a dedicated section on flooding, including information on what to do before, during and after a flood.

  • The Queensland Farmers Federation has a Farm Disaster Support website, where primary producers can enter their postcode and industry to see which assistance is locally available.

If you are a nursery industry participant, as part of the levy-funded project Nursery industry natural disaster risk mitigation & recovery plan (NY18008), there is a Flood preparation guide available.

If you are a turf industry participant, Hort Innovation and Turf Australia have worked together to produce a fact sheet on Turf management after flooding.

Financial support

  • Australian Government support payments have been activated for NSW storms and floods. The quickest and easiest way to check your eligibility is to call 180 22 66 or visit Support payments are now available in a range of local government areas, and more will be added following further assessments.

  • Some primary producers may qualify for Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) which is a short-term payment to assist you if a declared disaster directly affects your income. You can find out more information on the Services Australia website here.

  • Visit the FarmHub website here for an overview of assistance available through federal, state and territory avenues

  • The Government’s Rural Financial Counselling Service program is a free, confidential service that’s available to farmers that are experiencing, or are at risk of, financial hardship. You can learn more here or call 1800 686 175 to be referred to your nearest office. A rural financial counsellor can help you work through and understand your current financial situation, including the implications of the current situation, and connect you with relevant professional services and assistance schemes. They can also help you apply directly for the Farm Household Allowance.

  • The Farm Household Allowance program provides assistance to farming families experiencing financial hardship, no matter the case of that hardship. For further information visit the Farm Household Allowance website here. The program provides eligible farmers and their partners with a packed of assistance that includes:
    • Up to four years of fortnightly income support (in every 10 year period) 
    • Ancillary allowances such as Pharmaceutical Allowance, Telephone Allowance, Rent Assistance and Remote Area Allowance 
    • A professional financial assessment of the farm business (worth up to $1,500) 
    • Funding to help develop skills, access training and pay for professional advice (up to $10,000 and can now include reasonable travel and accommodation to undertake training) 
    • Regular support of a case manager. 

Mental health services

If you are experiencing mental health challenges, for 24/7 support call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467. If your life is in danger, call 000.

  • The FarmHub website has details, links and phone numbers for a range of mental health services, including those specific to rural areas, at FarmHub is an Australian Government initiative run through the National Farmers’ Federation.

  • For families with young children, Birdie’s Tree is an online resource with information, activities and stories to work through the experience of natural disasters. Available at, it has been produced by Children’s Health Queensland Hospital and Health Service.

Insurance and legal services


If you have insurance, contact your insurer for advice on the actions you should take as soon as possible after flooding. The Insurance Council of Australia can also provide advice on lodging an insurance claim following a natural disaster – see or call 1800 734 621 (available 24/7).

Legal resources

These services can help you with insurance claims and other legal problems that may arise from the situation. You can contact the below legal resources in your state:

Other services

Replacement of identity documents. The Australian Passport Office advises that if your passport has been lost or damaged in the bushfires, you may be eligible for a free replacement and can call 131 232 for more information. There is also assistance for replacing important identity documents such as licenses through the various state agencies. For example, those in New South Wales can see the 'Vehicle registrations, licences, permits and number plates' section of this Service NSW assistance page, and there are also Mobile Service Centres visiting fire-affected communities helping people replace lost and damaged documentation.

Documenting the impact

Understanding the magnitude of loss and impact caused to horticulture regions and industries by the floods will be helpful when it comes to guiding any horticultural response or allocation of resources by the government. For example, Growcom has a damage estimation form here. For growers in New South Wales, NSW DPI advises that damage can be reported direct at this link.


Have we missed something?

If you’d like to see something included on this page that you think will be of use to flood-affected growers, please reach out to with the details.